How do you write a short essay or a topic that can amaze professors at school or at the 2018 maturity? Answering this question is not simple because writing is not like mathematics: it has no very precise rules (grammar aside, of course!). This does not mean, however, that you cannot learn to write better by paying attention to some details that can make a difference and applying the right method.
The editorial staff at Studenti.it have collected ten valuable tips that can help you write well and therefore have no trouble writing a theme or a short essay. Here’s what they are:
1) Select the active form whenever possible. The passive shape is less smooth, the active helps make your sentences clearer and more direct.
2) Use the synonyms intelligently. The dictionary of synonyms is perfect not only to avoid repetition but also to learn what the different shades have the meaning of words. Consult with the right attention and you will not regret it.
3) Dose the presence of complex words. Making a show of its culture is not always good: filling a topic with big words can make it less smooth. Technical and specific terms can only be present in a paper if it is actually needed, such as in some types of short essays.
4) Save unnecessary words. There are concepts that can be expressed in a word. Using the right word helps you make your sentences smoother, and the essay or theme will benefit you.
5) Citation means knowing how to choose without knowing how to copy and paste. Inserting a few quotes helps a theme to be more appealing and is crucial for the proper construction of a short essay on maturity. But that doesn’t mean being authorized to insert whole blocks of sentences taken from other works: a careful and sensible choice is needed. The words of others must act as a support for your speech and not develop it for you.
6) If not, do not post it. It is not necessary to distance yourself from what you always write. In some cases, addressing of the reader is e.g. A good trick to make the text more fascinating.
7) Learn how to choose the right tone. Before you start writing, stop for a moment and answer these questions: To whom is my theme or my short essay addressed? What is the main topic? You will see that it is much easier to choose the exact tone with which to perform your argument.
8) Take care at the beginning and conclusions. The themes and short essays are like movies: People are led to remember first and foremost the beginning and the end. This does not mean that the corpus is not important (in fact, this is where you can best develop your ideas), but that your flashes of style will be noticed more if inserted into incipit or in the conclusions.